Translate

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kerala - Traditional breakfast

Here is a glimpse of some of the commonly found traditional breakfast dishes in Kerala. These pictures are based on my limited travel in Kerala. There are many more available. 

Enjoy!

This is the 'Rice Puttu', made of rice flour, usually eaten with 'Kadala' or 'Chick peas' curry. 



I learnt soon that 'Puttu' is also eaten with banana. I was served this combination one morning at the B-school cafeteria. I quickly ate up the bananas and waited for the curry to arrive. None showed up. The kitchen staff also went missing. So, without any option, I got to work on the very, very dry 'Puttu'. After I was done, which took a while, the lad who had served me came over and gently suggested that I needed to eat the 'Puttu' with the bananas. Hmmm... I'm not too fond of squished bananas. Had I known, I would certainly have preferred the dry 'Puttu' instead! That was my 'Puttu' lesson for the day.



'Kerala Parotta', along with Potato or Egg curry. No bananas here. 



'Plain dosa', with 'Chutney' and 'Sambar'.



The world famous 'Appam', commonly eaten with a 'Stew' or 'Kadala' curry.



'Idiyappam', common with a Veg or Chicken or Mutton Stew.




'Idly', with 'Chutney' and 'Sambar'. The 'Idly' is common to all the South Indian states.



'Chapatti' with 'Egg masala', commonly served during dinner, as well.



My all time favourite, all day drink, 'Green Kerala tea' in hot water.



Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments...